The mantra behind various plans remains the upliftment of certain categories of people. The Sabooj Sathi scheme empowers women as they can pedal long distances to go to good colleges and even join universities. To reduce school dropouts and to ensure women of the state are stimulated Mamta Banerjee, Chief Minister of Bengal introduced the scheme.
What is Sabooj Sathi scheme?
The government of West Bengal is also trying to do its bit to uplift the already uplifted Bengali society that has seen a slow decline over the years. Students who wish to get a bicycle must join 11th standard and that is all one would need to do to get a bicycle from the government. The plan was launched in 2015-2016 and the plan still holds its place as it continues to distribute bicycles every year. The cost is borne by the Backward Classes Welfare for SC & OBC students department, Tribal Development for ST students, School Education for General category students & Minority Affairs & Madrasah Education for students from the Minority category.
These are the eligibility criteria one must fulfil to become a part of the Sabooj Sathi scheme.
- They must be 13 to 18 years old, and must be enrolled in a government run school.
- Only a permanent resident of West Bengal is eligible to apply for the scheme.
- The family income must not be more than 2 lakhs per annum and the student should live at least 2 kilometres away from school.
- At least 60% attendance is a must and the student should not already own a bicycle.
- Either the student must be in Class XI or Class XII.
You will require the following documents for the scheme
- Attendance slot for the class
- Family income certificate
- Aadhar card copy
- A photo of the student.
- Tenth class mark sheet and certificate
How to apply Sabooj Sathi scheme?
Offline application is the only application process available for those who want to apply for it.
- From the Sabooj Sathi scheme website, download the application form. You can also collect it from the authorities who are concerned with the process.
- Add personal details like name and other stuff and then incorporate family income, school to home distance, and also your attendance record.
- Add a copy of the Aadhar card, family income certificate, and school attendance certificate.
- Submit the Sabooj Sathi application form to the designated authorities.
It will help reduce dropouts from school, ensure the health of students, empower people, save time, and money, and also save the environment. It also encourages education among girls who drop out quite early from school even to this day.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the exclusion criteria followed by the scheme?
If the student falls under any of the below criteria they would not get any benefit from the scheme.
- If they go to private schools.
- If they already have a bicycle.
- Those students who stay closer to the school cannot claim for it.
- Students whose parents have a family income of more than Rs. 2 lakh annually.
- Poor attendance holders and non-residential students are not eligible.
Which of the sustainable goals does this scheme aim?
Sustainable goals of Agenda 2030 include SDG3 (Health & Well-being), SDG4 (Quality Education), SDG5 (Gender Equality), and SDG13 (Climate actions).
Everything you would have to know to apply for the Sabooj Sathi scheme is mentioned in this article. Read for more insight and if you happen to fit the criteria, go ahead and fill out the form.
- Joe Lombardi is a dynamic author known for his out-of-the-box thinking and creative prowess. With a track record of successfully initiating and delivering projects, he thrives in minimal supervision environments. Joe's ability to strategize, write, edit, and proofread is unmatched